March 02, 2013

10 Bad Foods for Dogs

We love our pets. We love to spoil them and pamper them and feed them. But did you know that some human foods can be fatal for your pet's health? There are some food items that your dog should not eat, no matter how tasty they might seem to you.

Here are 10 foods your dog should not eat:

1. Dairy Products, Milk & Ice Cream

Milk or ice cream might seem potentially harmless for your pet, but the case is quite the opposite. Dogs cannot digest lactose well. This is why giving your dog any milk based product can lead to digestive issues and diarrhea. It is always better to ask your vet for a healthy milk substitute or giving them processed milk created especially for dogs.

2. Raw & Uncooked Eggs

Eating raw eggs can contain bacteria like Salmonella. Eating raw eggs frequently can cause skin and hair problem in dogs. Although the reaction might not be as strong for a dog as it is for a cat, it is better to avoid giving uncooked eggs to your pet. Always cook the eggs properly before giving and also try not to give it to your dog too often.

3. Raw Meat, Poultry, Fish & Bones

The image of a dog chewing away at a raw piece of meat and bone is cliched. Bones, especially cooked bones can cause serious health hazards, leading to choking, digestive blockage and even dental issues. Raw meat and fish can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E coli that can harm your pet's digestive system. Always purchase raw meat from a reliable meat vendor and consult a vet or animal nutritionist before feeding your dog raw meat. Read more about the pros and cons of a raw meat diet for dogs.

4. All Chocolates & Coca Items

Chocolate is poison for your dog. It contains toxic elements like methylxanthine and theobromine, which can be lethal. White, dark or brown, all kinds of chocolates contain this chemical in varying amounts. Reactions like vomiting, muscle spasm, restlessness can occur which can eventually lead to death.

5. Garlic, Onion & Chives

These cause gastric tract problems, serious red blood cell damage, liver damage and even asthma attacks in dogs. Severe reactions like diarrhea, vomiting and lethargy can occur. Although dogs will naturally avoid such vegetables, however they cannot tell the different in cooked food, so please don't feed your dog anything that will have onions, garlic, chives and the likes of it as these can easily kill your pet.

6. Coffee, Tea & Caffeinated Beverages

Caffeine might help keep you awake but it will not do the same for your dog. It contains methylxanthine which is harmful for your dog. It will cause indigestion, lead to vomiting, diarrhea, panting, increased thirst, hyperactivity, excessive urination, tremors, abnormal heart beat and even death. So do not give your dog any kind of coffee, tea, energy drink, colas or other caffeinated beverages.

7. Baking Powder, Soda & Yeast

If you love to bake then make sure your baking ingredients are kept well away from your pet. Don't even let any of these products on your pet's paws as they can lick it. Uncooked yeast dough can expand in your pet's stomach, causing gastric issues, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, bloating and can most likely rupture your dog's stomach and intestines. Although cooked bread is not as harmful as uncooked yeast, however it is better to avoid giving bread to your pet, instead feed it healthy dog-treats and processed dog food.

8. Nuts, Raisins & Grapes

These are highly toxic for your pet which is why it is essential that you keep any product that contain these foods out of their reach. Products like cereals, raisin bars, cookies and fruits salads tend to contain these, to name just a few. Raisins, nuts (raw & roasted both), currents and grapes can cause vomiting, lethargy, tremors, weakness, kidney failure and also death. Symptoms generally start showing with 12 to 48 hours. Reactions of these food can worsen as time passes, leading to paralysis. Therefore it is imperative that you carefully check all ingredients of any product before you feed it to your dog. If your pet eats any such food, please contact a vet immediately.

9. Artificial Sweeteners, Candies & Sugar-free Cookies

These contain a element called 'Xylitol' which can trigger a fatal reaction in your pet immediately. Eating any such food can cause lowered blood sugar level which will lead to liver failure within a few days. Initial symptoms can include vomiting, coordination issues, weakness and seizures. Avoid feeding your pet any candy, gums or cookies that you eat. Intake of any kinds of sugar in your pet's daily diet is not good.

10. Butter, Ghee, Margarine & Oil

Avoid giving all kinds of fats to your pet. Whether it's ghee, butter, margarine, lard, oil or any fat trimmings. Given in large amounts these can cause liver damage. A few oils like coconut oil and those containing omega fatty acids can be given in small amounts only, however it is best to consult with your vet before feeding any such thing to your pet.

Other products and foods that can be toxic for your dog and must be avoided include: Avocado, Alcohol & Beer, Gums, Toothpaste, Food Coloring, Mushrooms, Beans, Mutard Seeds, Raw & Green Potatoes, Potato leaves and stems, Salt and seeds of all kinds of fruits. Also please don't give your pet any medicine without consulting with your vet as most human medicines are deadly for animals.

To read more about dangerous food for dogs, please visit

No comments:

Post a Comment